St. Moritz Private Guided Day Hike
Enjoy thrilling hike with amazing panoramas of the Engadine Valley and Bernina Alps
From $525 | Guided Private Day Hike | From June to October
Join us on a St Moritz Private Guided Day Hike. Enjoy the panoramic views of the surrounding Bernina Alps and World Championships Ski runs, in a relatively flat and leisurely hike. Hike along the sunny side of the Alps and find out why many people keep coming back to this beautiful Engadine Valley year after year.
On this St Moritz Private Guided Day Hike, you’ll enjoy the assistance of our local English-speaking guide. Together, you will hike around Muottas Muragl, St. Mortiz’s famous panoramic spot, and the Pontresina Valley. The guide will tell you more about the Romanisch culture in Graubünden, artistic “graffiti” architecture in St. Moritz and its history as the world’s first winter tourism resort. This is a quiet, private tour where you can learn about the region and Switzerland – while enjoying great Alpine views.
Book the Swiss Alps hiking tour today!
St Moritz Private Guided Day Hike Itinerary
This St Moritz Private Guided Day Hike has been designed to let you experience the stunning beauty of Upper Engadine Valley and its central spot: St. Moritz. We will start in the village of Pontresina, where you will take a funicular to Muottas Muragl. Here we will start a panoramic walk offering stunning views of the valley and numerous peaks.
Your guide will pick you up at 9:00 am at your hotel in St. Moritz.
Muottas Muragl hike along the “Hohenweg” (also known as the Panorama Way) is one of the most popular hikes in the Engadine. It is relatively flat, and so suitable for just about everyone.
We start by taking the 2.2.km long Muottas Muragl funicular from Punt Muragl (1742 m / 5715 ft) in the valley, up a curved track to Muottas Muragl (2456 m / 8057 ft). This mountain railway was the first to be built in the Canton of Graubunden, and was opened on the 9th August 1907, after just over 2 years of construction time.
From Muottas Muragl we walk along what is generally a downhill or level track around the side of Val Muragl (with views of the rock glacier), and then back into the main Pontresina Valley from which each new curve in the pathway seems to provide an even better view than the last.
After about 1 1/2 hours we come to the Unterer Schafberg for a short break at the mountain café to enjoy a refreshment and savour the unbelievable outlook over the neighbouring valleys. (This small café is also famous for its Rhubarb pie).
From the Unterer Schafberg we continue for another 45 – 55 mins on to Alp Languard, enjoying now the views to Piz Bernina (4049m) and the famous Biancograt, Piz Palu, and the Bernina Group, before we stop for lunch at Alp Languard.
After lunch we have two options:
- Hike back to St. Mortiz through the Stazerwald. This takes about 2 hours time.
- We can walk back along the road to Punt Muragl, which is at the bottom of the funicular. This is about an hour.
Afterwards we take public transportation back to St. Moritz & the hotel.
Please note that the direction of this hike may be reversed, a decision made by the guide according to the conditions on the day or after consultation with guests.
- Actual walking & hiking time and distance: 3 ½ to 4 hours, 5 ½ miles / 9 km.
- Elevation change: 400ft / 130m down
- Hiking terrain: relatively flat, natural dirt & stone path, public sign posted trails. From start to finish, after an undulating walk, there is an altitude difference of approximately 130 m.
We will be back in St. Moritz around 5:00 pm.
Book the Swiss Alps hiking tour today!
Details and pricing
Adult Standard: US $525 per person, based on 2 or more
Adult Standard: US $820 for one person
- Full Day Guided Hiking with with local St. Moritz English-speaking guide
- All transportation for your hike; local buses, funicular, cog wheel train, chair lift, train etc.
- Items of personal nature
See our Cancellation Policy for more details.
Visa, Maestro, and Mastercard are commonly accepted in Switzerland. American Express is not so popular and many businesses don’t accept it. The country is becoming more and more cashless with contactless and mobile payments (Google and Apple Pay). Still, it’s useful to have some cash on you while travelling. All banks provide currency exchange services at a favorable rate.
- Refillable bottle of water
- Comfortable footwear with sturdy soles that have a good grip; ankle-high boots are not essential but recommended
- Warm layered windproof clothing
- Sunhat and sunscreen
- Click on any of the “Book now” buttons on the page.
- You will be redirected to our dedicated booking platform.
- Choose a desired date for your trip and add number of participants. Select departure time, if applicable.
- Fill out the form with all travellers’ details and click “Confirm booking”.
- Once we receive your booking request you will be sent an email with payment instructions from our partner Flywire.
- Follow the instructions in the email.
- Once the payment is processed, your booking is confirmed.
Check our review page