Mt. Rigi Hike and Dairy Farm Stay
Discover Switzerland off the beaten track with our hike and stay at a 300-year-old cheese farm
From $535 | Semi-Guided Private Hiking Tour | From June to September
On our Mt. Rigi Hike and Farm Stay, you will experience the astounding beauty of Central Switzerland. Hike up the Rigi, the Queen of Mountains, and stay at an authentic 300-year-old cheese farm run by the 7th generation of the Kennel family.
Chäserenholz Farm is a sure highlight for your visit to Switzerland! during our Rigi Hike And Farm Stay, you will marvel at the snow-covered peaks and the deep blue tones of the lake below. In the evening, you will enjoy a beautiful sunset and count the stars in the clear skies above.
During the overnight, you are surrounded by the silence of the Alps and the hospitality of Franz-Toni Kennel’s family, the Chäserenholz alpine farmer and cheesemaker.
Book the Swiss Alps hiking tour today!
Mt Rigi Hike and Farm Stay Itinerary
This Mt Rigi Hike and Farm Stay tour has been designed to give you a peek at authentic Swiss culture. Hike on the famous Mt. Rigi and marvel at the panoramic views of Lake Lucerne, Pilatus, Fronalpstock, Burgenstock, and other peaks of central Switzerland. Stay at a Cheese Chäserenholz Farm and experience the serenity of Swiss countryside.
Your guide will meet you at your hotel in Lucerne at 8:00 a.m.
From there you will take a train to Arth-Goldau where you will board a 140-year-old cogwheel train up to Mt. Rigi. After reaching the destination, you will begin your 2 to 3,5 h hike. Your guide will adapt the choice of hiking trail to the weather conditions and your preferences.
Your guide will bring you to the Cheese Chäserenholz Farm stay by late afternoon to get you settled and oriented as to what to expect for the evening and the next day.
The choice of one available room with beds or a mattress on the floor is what the Swiss call a “Massen-lager”, or what some might call “Swiss dormitory style” will be another one of your Swiss Alps highlights! All male and female changing rooms are separate, modern and convenient.
Chäserneholz has a cozy dining room and limited dinner menu. Whatever you order the food will be home- made and very tasty. Whether you choose Käseschnitte (cheese on toast), fondue, a meat & cheese platter or specialities like carpaccio with alpine cheese and other delights – the delicacies at the Alp Chäserenholz will be an unforgettable experience.
Accommodation: Mountain Farm on Rigi.
In the morning you may request a visit to see Franz-Toni working in the cheese-dairy and cheese storage area where the cheeses are cured.
At “Chaesernholz” Franz-Toni Kennel, the 7th generation family member living on Mt. Rigi, will have completed his morning cheese making activities and will be cleaning up. He normally starts around 5.00 am, filling his 1300 litre / 343 gallons copper vessel with milk provided by the 30 cows he milks, houses and feeds. These activities produce approximately 24 cheese rounds daily.
For your return to Lucerne you will hike to the respective Mt. Rigi train stations either at Rigi Kulm or Rigi Staffel.
You will be back in Lucerne by afternoon.
Meals included: Breakfast.
Book the Swiss Alps hiking tour today!
Details and pricing
Price per person:
- $535 is based on a minimum of 2 people
- $635 for solo travelers
- $236 per child
- $99 reduction for Swiss Pass & GA
- Dinner. Cash only at the Farm
- All items of personal nature
- Luggage transfer. We recommend you stow your luggage at the Lucerne train station lockers and just take what you need for the overnight. The next day you will return to the Lucerne train station, go to your locker and now ready to continue on your next adventure
See our Cancellation Policy for more details.
Visa, Maestro, and Mastercard are commonly accepted in Switzerland. American Express is not so popular and many businesses don’t accept it. The country is becoming more and more cashless with contactless and mobile payments (Google and Apple Pay). Still, it’s useful to have some cash on you while travelling. All banks provide currency exchange services at a favorable rate.
What to Bring / Wear
- Water bottle
- Sunhat and sunscreen
- Sturdy footwear / trainers with a solid sole
- Warm layered clothing, especially a wind and waterproof jacket – it can get cold on the mountain.
- Small towel
The Chäserenholz only accepts cash so make sure you bring between 50.- to 100.- Swiss francs with you for whatever you consume at night.
- Click on any of the “Book now” buttons on the page.
- You will be redirected to our dedicated booking platform.
- Choose a desired date for your trip and add number of participants. Select departure time, if applicable.
- Fill out the form with all travellers’ details and click “Confirm booking”.
- Once we receive your booking request you will be sent an email with payment instructions from our partner Flywire.
- Follow the instructions in the email.
- Once the payment is processed, your booking is confirmed.
Check our review page