Mount Rigi Private Guided Day Hike
Ride the oldest cogwheel train Europe and enjoy the stunning alpine and lake panoramas
From $450 | Guided Private Day Hike | All Year Round
Join us on a Mount Rigi Private Guided Day Hike. Mount Rigi, also known as the “Queen of the Mountains”, is THE mountain peak where Swiss alpine tourism began over 200 years ago. A round trip to the summit of Mt Rigi and a hike along its ridge path with spectacular views is worth the trip.
On our Mt. Rigi Private Guided Day Hike, you’ll enjoy the panoramic views of Lake Lucerne and other peaks of Central Switzerland. Ride a cogwheel train to the top of Mt Rigi and embark on an easy, picturesque hike around the summit. This trip is private so that you can set the pace and length of the hike yourself, depending on your fitness level and the weather conditions. The assistance of a knowledgeable private guide will enhance your experience and sense of safety.
Book the Swiss Alps hiking tour today!
Rigi Private Guided Day Hike Itinerary
This Rigi Private Guided Day Hike has been designed to let you experience the best of the Lake Lucerne area. Ride one of the most picturesque cogwheel trains in Europe and visit a traditional cheese farm to learn more about Swiss alpine lifestyles.
Your guide will pick you up at 7:45 am at your hotel. If you’re not staying in Lucerne, you will meet them at Lucerne Torbogen.
We depart the Lucerne train station to Arth-Goldau. There we will board an old cogwheel train and ride all the way to the top. Rigi Kulm is located at 1800 meters / 5400 ft.
We walk a short incline to the top of Rigi Kulm and enjoy a 360 degree view of Swiss Alps, and, if the weather is good, even France and Germany.
By now it’s late morning and its time to hike towards our lunch stop located by the Mt. Rigi. Cheese dairy farmer Franz Toni-Kennel owns a place called “Chaeserenholz”. After a 20 minute walk we should be there. If we are fortunate we may be able to enter the cheese dairy and see his cheese making facility and visit the cheese storage area.
We will have a light BBQ lunch – your guide will take care of the fire and logistics. In winter we will have a light lunch at a local restaurant.
After our lunch, we hike along a local “Wanderweg” signposted trail through the forest and continue to the Rigi-Staffel train stop. Approximately an hour later, we reach Rigi-Kaltbad.
For over 600 years, health seekers from all over the world have been attracted to the healing waters of the ‘Kaltbad’ mineral springs. This tradition has been kept alive by the new facility opened in July 2012 and designed by the internationally renowned architect Mario Botta.
We descend by an aerial cable car down to Weggis to catch a Lake Lucerne boat for a scenic 40-minute cruise back to Lucerne.
We should be back in Lucerne around 5 pm.
Book the Swiss Alps hiking tour today!
Details and pricing
Adult Standard: US $450 per person, based on 2 or more
Adult Standard: US $595 for one person
Adult with Half-Tax Card: Standard Rates less US $57 per person
Adult with Swiss/Tell-Pass/GA: Standard Rates less US $99 per person
Child (Standard ages 6 to 15): US $225 per child
Child with Half-Tax Card Swiss: Standard Child Rate less US $28.50 per child
Child with Swiss/Tell-Pass/GA: Standard Child Rate less US $49.50 per child
- Private tour with experienced local English-speaking guide
- Light grill lunch of Swiss sausage selection (in Winter light lunch)
- All transportation from and return to Lucerne
- Alcoholic beverages – can be purchased at the nearby Alpine inn
- Entry to the mineral spa baths
- All items of a personal nature
See our Cancellation Policy for more details.
Visa, Maestro, and Mastercard are commonly accepted in Switzerland. American Express is not so popular and many businesses don’t accept it. The country is becoming more and more cashless with contactless and mobile payments (Google and Apple Pay). Still, it’s useful to have some cash on you while travelling. All banks provide currency exchange services at a favorable rate.
- Refillable bottle of water
- Comfortable footwear with sturdy soles that have a good grip; ankle-high boots are not essential but recommended
- Warm layered windproof clothing
- Sunhat and sunscreen
- Click on any of the “Book now” buttons on the page.
- You will be redirected to our dedicated booking platform.
- Choose a desired date for your trip and add number of participants. Select departure time, if applicable.
- Fill out the form with all travellers’ details and click “Confirm booking”.
- Once we receive your booking request you will be sent an email with payment instructions from our partner Flywire.
- Follow the instructions in the email.
- Once the payment is processed, your booking is confirmed.
Check our review page