Grindelwald is one of the most well-known places in Switzerland, and a gate to the Jungfrau Region. A quaint village surrounded by sky-high peaks, Grindelwald is a perfect starting point to many postcard-perfect hikes.
Whether you’re a hiking aficionado or an average Sunday hiker who wants to experience the nature and the stunning Alpine vistas, you will find something right up your street.
Here are our 5 suggestions for the best Grindelwald hikes.
5. Grindelwald to Grosse Scheidegg
This stunning trail leads from the center of Grindelwald to a mountain pass of Grosse Scheidegg at the elevation of 1,962 m (6437 ft). This 8,5 km (5,3 mile) trail leads through the range of landscapes: forests, wildflower meadows, and open ridge paths above the tree line. The trail is rather on a demanding side but the breathtaking views make up for the effort.
- Views of Wetterhorn
- Variety of Alpine landscapes
- Can be combined with a bus ride back
4. First to Bachalpsee and Faulhorn
One of the most beloved hikes in the region, the trail from First to Bachalpsee can be quite busy on Sundays and public holidays. Broad and level path leads from the gondola station at First to Bachalpsee, one of the most beautiful lakes in the Jungfrau region. From here you can continue the hike to Faulhorn (here is when it gets more steep), or go down to Bussalp and catch the bus back to Grindelwald. The trail is 10 km (6,2 miles) long and requires approximately 5 hours.
- Easy and level hike from First to Bachalp
- Ridge hike with panoramic views of Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger
- Gondola ride to First/bus ride from Bussalp to Grindelwald
3. Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg
This is a perfect hike for everyone who wants to experience the beauty of Swiss Alps without the strenuous uphill hike. Take a 20-minute cable car ride from Grindelwald to Männlichen, a broad mountain peak with a hotel, restaurant, and a playground for children with breathtaking views of the surrounding peaks. Start an easy, 2,5 mile level hike to Kleine Scheidegg, with the massifs of Jungfrau, Eiger and Monch right in front of you.
- Easy to walk, broad and level path
- Fantastic panoramic views of the surrouding peaks, including Jungfrau
- Can be combined with gondola/train ride to Männlichen or Kleine Scheidegg
2. Eiger Trail
Eiger Trail is one of the most famous trails in the region, one that showcases the imposing beauty of the Swiss Alps. Starting at Eigergletscher station, the trail leads along the famous Eiger’s North Face, with fantastic views of Lauberhorn, Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald. The three-hour-long trails leads to the Alpiglen station. While hiking, try to spot alpinists and climbers trying to conquer the North Face.
- Views of Eiger Glacier and the famous North Face up close
- Easily reachable by Eiger Express
- Can be combined with train/gondola ride
1. Multi-Day Via Alpina Hike: Engelberg to Melschsee-Frutt and Meiringen
Via Alpina connects the European Alpine countries with a 390 km (240 mile) long trail connecting the most renowned Alpine peaks and regions. In Switzerland, Via Alpina leads from Sargans to Montreux through the Jungfrau Region. Starting from Engelberg, you can hike up to Melchsee-Frutt, a car-free village in the heart of Swiss Alps, before continuing to Meiringen and Grindelwald. From Grindelwald, Via Alpina leads to Mürren, another famous car-free village and further south-west.
If you’d like to embark on this ultimate Alpine adventure, book ECHO Rails Via Alpina hiking trip, and spend 8 days in the heart of Swiss Alps. Enjoy the serenity of nature while we take care of the logistics. You can also explore via Alpina in stages. We will be happy to create an individual itinerary just for you.
- Walking on the famous Via Alpina
- Car-free villages of Melschsee-Frutt and Mürren
- Views of the most famous peaks in the Jungfrau Region
- Authentic Swiss alpine hotels
- Immersive hiking experience
The Best Grindelwald Hikes
Hiking in Grindelwald is a truly fantastic experience. Variety of trails, gondolas and trains make hiking here accessible for everyone regardless of their fitness level. We hope that our suggestions for the 5 best Grindelwald hikes will spice up your next trip to the Jungfrau Region and help you immerse in the breathtaking beauty of the Swiss Alps.
If you’d like to explore Grindelwald with a local guide, ECHO Rails will be happy to organize a day hike just for you and your loved ones. Simply contact us, we’re ready to help.
Our 8-day Via Alpina semi-guided private hiking experience is a perfect option for those who wish to spend more time in the mountains and connect with nature in the Swiss Alps.
Your benefits include:
- Swiss Pass Flex
- Luggage transfer
- Authentic Alpine hotels
- Scheduled itinerary
- One guided hike
- All reservations, admissions, and tickets as per schedule